My brand new Rubik’s Cube arrived in the mail this week and I couldn’t wait to start cracking at it! I took a picture of it before I got started because I knew that it would be ruined shortly after and I didn’t have a way to make it look that good again anytime soon. I wanted to make sure that it was as “mixed up” as I possibly could make it, so I began twisting and turning rows and columns until it looked “jumbled” enough to be confusing. My first learning attempts this week were completely experimental, giving me the opportunity to try and solve it without looking up any strategy guides or doing any research. Although I did make some good progress, I hit quite a few roadblocks as well.
After the first weekend, I was able to perform the following procedures in, what I thought was, a relatively short period of time (within two to three minutes):
Solving the corners on one face:
I recognized that I could twist the left face clockwise (see my fingers, left) to bring that particular square into the location that I wanted it to end up in. If I turned both bottom front faces counter-clockwise before I made that move, then I could twist the original two squares back to their starting locations (without affecting the positions of the other squares).
Getting multiple “rows” of the same color on one face:
There were usually at least a few squares together already, so making arbitrary twists and turns for the third color in a row became fairly easy over time. The trickiest parts for me were the corners…
Solving One Face:
Eventually I was able to move a particular square to any position I wanted on one face. It was simply a matter of moving the original squares to any face that would not be affected by the one that I needed to twist (typically the opposite side). For example, if I wanted to move a square from the front to the top on the right face (but keep the original squares on the top right in place after the move), then I would have to twist the originals to the left face first and then twist them back to their original positions.
After I solved this first face (on the first day), I couldn’t get anywhere close to solving a second face without messing up the first! One square away from two faces was the closest I could get to making progress. My process was also more of a visual “feel” than a repeatable procedure (hence why this was so hard to describe) and it was taking me several hours per trial to try to get further or fix the first face again. So I decided to begin research in Week 2 to find out how to get over this hurdle and solve that second face.